Tavi and Iris, a conversation on chic at the Met

Wednesday 27 June 2012



The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York hosts sit-down conversations with top fashion society for celebration of the Costume Institute’s exhibit. I was fortunate enough to attend this event as press member. On Sunday June 17, while still in the city, the New Yorker writer Judith Thurman, who wrote the article "Radical Chic: Schiaparelli, Prada, and clothes on the cutting edge”, as well as wrote the introduction to the book which accompanies the exhibit; have been moderated the discussion between Iris Apfel & Tavi Gevinson called “Good Taste/Bad Taste: The Evolution of Contemporary Chic”.


iris Apfel

Tavi Gervison

The place was pretty crowded with a very mixed of all ages, which shows the depth these 2 style icons display, at ages 90 and 16 respectively.

For those who need a little history of these two, in a brief summary:
Tavi Gevinson: American fashion blogger who rose to "fame" at age 13 with the blog "The Style Rookie" being invited to New York Fashion Week as a special guest. At age 15 she founded "Rookie Magazine".
Iris Apfel: born August 29, 1921. Ran a textile firm with her husband, Carl, Old World Weavers from 1948 to 1992. Interior designer and fashion icon.

Discussions went on different fashion and social subjects such as feminism and beauty, the “mutant fashion”, to turning into Prada & Schiaparelli themselves (see below for some pics of the exhib).

It was pretty amazing see how fashion and (sense of) style has changed in these years. These two icons have very different views on this matter.

But what I got from this amazing conversation is that you have to be your own person. You cannot worry about what others think, you have to be original, you have to be yourself. You cannot be afraid of doing what you feel will make you happy.

In these, both ladies do agree and feel prety confident about their own.



I would like to thank Tavi, Iris and the Met for this confidence building event. Together with the FFFweek, my self esteem did get a real bust. They are hoping to have the talk on video on the Met website, so be on the lookout when you are visiting the site.






Ari Seth Cohen, Advanced Style
Special guest of this talk was Ari Seth Cohen from Advanced Style, here with ‘his’ ladies: Debra Rapoport and Tziporah Salamon


A few pics of the exhibition: Schiapparelli and Prada, Impossible Conversations
(as an Italian, I couldn't miss this fashion exhib, right?)

Schiapparelli and Prada














Il Metropolitan Museum of Art di New York ospita degli incontri sul tema della moda per la celebrazione della mostra ospitata all’Instituto del Costume. Con grande gioia sono stata invitata a questo evento come addetto stampa. Domenica 17 giugno, mentre era ancora in città, la scrittrice Judith Thurman (New Yorker), autrice dell'articolo "Radical Chic: Schiaparelli, Prada, and clothes on the cutting edge”, e dell'introduzione al libro che accompagna la mostra, ha moderato la discussione tra Iris Apfel & Tavi Gevinson chiamato "Good Taste / Bad Taste: The Evolution of Contemporary Chic".
L’auditorium era abbastanza affollato di un bel mix di età e stili, il che dimostra la popolarità di queste 2 icone di stile di età 90 e 16 anni rispettivamente.

Per chi non le conoscesse, ecco due righe su di loro:
Tavi Gevinson: fashion blogger americana, salita alla "fama" all'età di 13 anni con il blog "The Style Rookie" per essere stata invitata alla New York Fashion Week come ospite d’onore. All'età di 15 anni ha fondato la rivista "Rookie".
Iris Apfel: nata il 29 agosto 1921. Ha gestito una ditta tessile con il marito Carl, “Tessitori del Vecchio Mondo” dal 1948 al 1992. Interior designer, icona della moda e dello stile.


Le discussioni si sono susseguite su diversi temi come il femminismo e la bellezza, la "moda mutante" per poi evolvere su Prada e Schiaparelli (alcune foto della mostra qui di seguito).


E 'stato sorprendente vedere come il senso dello stile sia cambiato in questi anni. Queste due icone hanno opinioni molto diverse su in materia di moda.
Ma quello che più si é radicato in me dopo questo incontro è la propria unicità. Non puoi preoccuparti di cosa pensano gli altri, devi essere originale, devi essere te staessa. Non si può aver paura di fare quello che senti ti renderà felice.
In questo, le due donne sono d'accordo e sono a loro agio con la propria unicità.

Vorrei ringraziare Tavi, Iris e il Met per questo evento e sferzata di fiducia. Insieme alla FFFweek, la mia autostima si é rafforzata ancor di più.

Presto sarà disponibile il video sul sito del Met website, tenetelo d’occhio.



The Metropolitan Museum of Art


9 comments :

  1. Thank you very much for visiting my blog from so far away!! Are you living in N.Y?? I really liked your post about MET exhibition. Can I mention it in my blog. Ciao!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky of you to meet them all.It comes to show that real fashion,as a way of self expression has no age.

    WOnderful post.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! first thanks for your comment- and thanks for following me!
    You were lucky to meet them - I just love Iris and Tavi
    She changed a lot Tavi and for the better i think -
    I am being my own self more and more, it doesn't matter to me what people think, i just want to have fun with fashion! it makes me happy! and it makes other people happy! I will follow you too!

    Ariane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I want to watch the conversation between this two ladies...Thanks for all the info.

    Thank you very much for passing by my blog. Lovely comment. I will be following yours. Lot's of interesting things here...

    Ciao,

    Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post. I really love it and it's so interesting. Iris is a lady.
    Nice photos too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have loooooved to be there!
    OMG, I feel like going back to NYC right this second!!!!
    Im sure Sienna will looooove the MET when she grows up... :)
    In a few days you will be here sweetie!!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This shows that even in the fashion world there are great talents. I was ammased to learn about Iris and Tavi lifes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tavi and Iris: my two favourite fashion people. I would have loved to be there. From the photos they both look absolutely dazzling!
    I recently stumbled across your blog and I LOVE it! I love the layout to the content and everything in between! Your blog is simply the epitome of perfection! I am your newest, most avid follower, I look forward to reading your future posts. I would love it if you could perhaps follow me back too? Have a lovely day!

    Love from, MISSIFFA

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow your so lucky! they both give me so much inspiration and are massive icons of mine. amazing post and amazing pictures xx

    http://cottonmixblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete